Sunday, 29 July 2012

The Parable of the Mustard Seed - Thank you Kim x



  Today at St Michael's Church  Kim read to the children from (Matt. 13:31-32) "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches"



Have you ever seen a mustard seed? The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds.  Even though the mustard seed is  small when it is planted in the ground, it grows into a tree large enough for birds to stand on its branches and to make their nests in it. We laughed as Kim asked if any of us had planted a seed only to find that it had not grown in the way we thought it should. 

I have never had green fingers and have either found that I have chosen the wrong time to plant the seed or the wrong location. Sometimes in my eagerness I have over watered the plant or given it the wrong food. In my attempt to keep things in order I have trimmed and shaped or tied the plant in an effort to make it grow against a certain wall because that's how I had imagined it in my mind only to find that by doing this  the plant became unhappy and sought its own direction into the light or simply shriveled up leaving me wondering why I bothered trying in the first place and wondering what I had done wrong.
 It made me think today about timing, location and only helping when needed. In my home life as a parent timing is everything - I know intuitively when to approach my children and get them to listen .I know too that if I try  restricting them or overpowering them they will rebel and choose their own path.
 I used to teach practical parenting classes and enjoyed hearing all the many parenting styles . I guess the parable is there to tell us that God can only do so much and that there comes a time when we have to take action ourselves choosing the right time, the right place and the right location. As a parent it is just the same and now as I begin in business I discover that in order for it to grow I need patience and time too, I also need to listen and learn from others to help when needed but give them the chance to choose from the dark or the light dependent upon their needs in their own time.
 I find for me that attending church has kept me learning , whilst my life is busy I do make the time to read with my children and we learn together .I choose to spend my time on a Sunday learning and sharing so I hope you do not mind me blogging about it today. I enjoyed the parable as much now as when I was a child and came home and felt I had to write about the feeling it gave me. After all life is meaningless without feelings and shared thoughts. 
So what did I feel - I felt comforted and content knowing that we don't always get the timing right, we don't always pick the right starting point but that with help and the right support anything can grow just like the mustard seed . It also made me realise that whilst everyone likes the idea of heaven itself being a wonderful place and we all know our timing will come we have a lot of time on earth with a lot of choices to make and heaps of possibilities to plant and nurture our very own mustard seeds x

1 comment:

  1. I love this post Amanda and its really true - I have friends who carry mustard seeds in their purses to remind them that something small, if nurtured in the right soil can become something big and really positive x

    ReplyDelete